Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Belly Buddies

During the course of my pregnancy I had the opportunity to meet a plethora of ladies online who were due in December as well.  To tell you the truth, I don't even remember how I found the group.  Google is a wonderful tool.  Since Lee and I moved to Florida, we've been doing a lot of working and not so much socializing.  Its been difficult for us to meet people.  Neither one of us enjoys bar hopping, and would rather get a good meal, and see the newest movies.  Needless to say, I didn't know anyone locally who was pregnant the same time I was. 

The concept of Belly Buddies is ingenious. Its a forum for expectant mother's who are due the same month / year.  I'm surprised there aren't more sites cashing in on this with advertising allowances.  There really isn't anything like a new pregnancy for a first time mom to make you a bit crazy, can I eat this, can I do that, and my favorite, is this normal.  Here are a few of many things I picked up in my group:

Deli Meat= evil
Caffeine = evil
Mystery Meat like Sausage = evil
Hot Baths or Tubs = evil

Swimming is fun and safe exercise for you and baby

Pregnancy hurts, what your feeling is probably round ligament pain, and yes, its normal HA!

I have to say, finding the group I did when I did was a blessing.  It got me really interested in their stories, and a few friendships blossomed out of the experience.  For a while there Lee thought I was nuts, especially when we finally started following each other of Facebook because it's easier to keep in touch.  I'm happy to say we are talking about meeting up and introducing our babies! 

Its great being able to talk to other moms who have children the same age and are at the same stage developmentally as your own.  It gives a bit of reassurance that things are A O K.  One of the ladies even said she was happy Carter was a bit older then the others, because she can look forward to whats coming next! 

When Carter was born in November, there was no doubt in my mind that I'd stick with the December belly buddies group.  When a child is born prematurely, even if its just 3 weeks, there is a term called adjusted age.  This gives the parents an idea of how to keep track of development when physically the baby might be a bit behind.  The calculation is based on your due date, so instead of having the developmental abilities of a month old baby, your 3 week early baby develops closer to a week old baby.  Seeing as Carter was due December 3rd that's how we've been keeping up.

I brought this up with his pediatrician and asked him when he thought Carter would be caught up to the other babies born in November, he said that by his 4 month appointment we should be right on track.  Just what an anxious first time mom needed to hear!

I interviewed 2 pediatricians while I was pregnant, again, it was a suggestion from the belly buddies group.  Dr. Bartlett was my first choice.  He's been practicing medicine in Pediatrics for 38 years.  He's pro breast feeding, and even gave me a high five when at Carter's 2 month appointment I told him he was only getting breast milk. 

I just feel really lucky to have found these ladies, and sparked the friendships that I have.  We talk almost everyday online, and I hope that continues long after I return to work. Thanks ladies, you really made our experience more special, especially Alicia, Meshele, Jess, Beth and Valerie.  Oh and I can't forget Carter's new friends... Weslee, Patience, Evan, Lillian and Addison. 

 

4 comments:

  1. aww :o) I could cry! We loved making a new friend in you guys too! Isnt it amazing, that even tho we are all so far away, we all have so much in common? Who would have thought that I would have found my newest dearest friends from a parents web site? And for that, I thank you Parents.com! :o) And yes, we DO INDEED need to get together soon! All of us :D Can you IMAGINE the trouble we would cause ha ha ha :D But what ever you do, dont forget my pine apple, and I will be sure to bring some toe warmers and some yankee gear bwa ha ha ha :o) I totally ordered a Yankee's onesie and was soooo close to sending it to Carter lmao :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Yankee's onsies wouldn't make it throug the front door. Good thing you didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe... Well, Alicia pretty much summed it up. I'm pretty honored that I made your list =). And I'm really glad that I found that forum too. You gals are awesome!

    ReplyDelete